Thursday, January 30, 2014

Chinese New Year Macarons

My favourite part of Chinese New Year as a kid were those hard, chewy-centered strawberry flavoured lollies that looked like red packets.




I used to eat them by the bucket full but these days I can barely get through one!



These macarons are inspired by those lollies - the flavour is strawberry and the gold Chinese characters painted on the red shells represent the shiny red and gold packaging.







After I finished writing the characters on, my mother messaged me to tell me that I used the wrong character for prosperity...but I hope no one will mind once they take a bite!



For the recipe, I used the strawberry macaron recipe here but used red food colouring instead of pink. The gold writing is done using edible gold lacquer.

Happy New Year of the horse, everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment