Monday, October 1, 2012

Cassis Macarons

Those of you who know me will know that I've moved house again recently, which means that I have another oven to get used to!


These are the first batch of macarons that I have made in my new oven - I was happy that they turned out fine with exactly the same temperature and baking time as my old oven!



I've always wanted to make these Cassis (blackcurrant) macarons but I never knew how to get the colour or flavour right. I've used powdered colouring for these, and for the filling I made a white chocolate ganache with Cassis liqueur. Unfortunately the flavour doesn't have the intensity I was after - I've previously tried using Ribena cordial but that didn't work either. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!




For the shells,
110g ground almonds
200g icing sugar
50g caster sugar
90g egg whites
colouring of your choice (I used blueberry powdered colouring)

Whisk egg white to stiff peaks, gradually adding the caster sugar. Add colouring to achieve intensity you desire.

Fold almonds and icing sugar into the eggwhites, "macaroning" until you achieve the correct consistency.

Pipe rounds onto baking trays and leave until a skin forms (usually at least 30 mins, much longer if humidity is high).

Bake at 150 deg C for 12-13 mins, cool and remove from trays. 



For the filling

100g white chocolate
20g cream
30g cassis liqueur

Heat the cream and liqueur and add the white chocolate - mix until well combined and allow to cool.


13 comments:

  1. A blog entirely devoted to macarons?! I must've hit the jackpot finding you! I am a macaron-obsessed food lover although I'm yet to attempt making them myself yet.

    Sarah x
    www.tellershesdreaming.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Sarah! If you love macarons as much as I do, you should give making them a go!

      Delete
  2. I've just bought some blackcurrant jam to try as a filling....fingers crossed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look beautiful - what about using freeze dried blackcurrant powder?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely...and I ♥ that you used powdered blueberry for the colour, all natural. I am going to try making these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog..would you recommend powder colour when wanting a bright colour such as red. Adore the purple colour of these macarons

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, definitely powdered colouring if you want an intense colour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think adding freeze dried blackcurrant powder to the shell mix would maybe help with the cassis taste. I've done this with rasps for a raspberry rose version I made. I know some people aren't keen on adding flavouring to the shells but they worked out scrummy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Pamela. Not sure if we can get freeze dried black currant powder in Melbourne but will look out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there! Just a quick question.. do you use food colouring in these macarons or powdered (I'm assuming ground up) blueberries? I'm a little bit confused! If you do use food colouring, do you mind telling me what brand? Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made macarons w just powdered freeze dried blueberry and they do not look like this. Your best bet is gel red and blue dye mixed together to achieve this color.

      Delete