Saturday, March 19, 2011

Generic Macaron Recipe

I have had many requests for macaron recipes lately, and thought I'd share this quick and easy macaron shell recipe. It's great for when you need to make macarons in a hurry, but unfortunately doesn't make very many (~20).

110g ground almonds
200g icing sugar
50g caster sugar
90g egg whites
colouring of your choice

Whisk egg white to stiff peaks, gradually adding the caster sugar. Add colouring to achieve intensity you desire.

Fold almonds and icing sugar into the eggwhites, "macaroning" until you achieve the correct consistency.

Pipe rounds onto baking trays and leave until a skin forms (usually at least 30 mins, much longer if humidity is high).

Bake at 150 deg C for 12-13 mins, cool and remove from trays.

Sandwich with your desired filling.

14 comments:

  1. oh here is the recepie :D I will try it out thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I have been testing out macaron recipes over the last couple of weeks. I find that when I make plain or chocolate flavored shells they turn out ok but as soon as I add colour (to the egg whites) they crack, no feet and go brown. I would appreciate any suggestions!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that may of been what happened to mine tonight. I added blue colouring and let them sit for 30 mins prior to cooking and they had no feet and didn't rise. AAHHHH I'm ready to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi guys, I don't think the coloring is the problem. If they're cracked, they haven't been rested enough or it's too humid in your kitchen. 30mins isn't long if it's very humid - I know of some macaron makers who rest their piped batter for >8hrs. If when you gently touch the top of the piped macaron, you get batter on your finger, they're not ready to be baked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Erica,
    thanks for sharing your recipe! Does this recipe make 20 macarons (40 shells), or 20 shells (10 macarons)? Also, bake at 115 degrees - is this in a fan forced oven? thanks for your help :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 40 shells, so 20 macarons. The Italian method usually yields more per 100g of almonds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Erica, does the icing sugar consist of cornstarch in it? I've come across macaron recipes that emphasised on icing sugar that has cornstarch in it. Thanks in advance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've used either. I now use icing mixture (with cornstarch) as I was sick of the lumps in pure icing sugar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you make your own icing mixture? what is the ratio of icing sugar and cornstarch??

      Delete
    2. No I just use the icing mixture from the supermarket...but plain icing sugar works too

      Delete
  9. Eeek, I love macarons! I have tried baking these for 3 years and never satisfied hehe. Maybe it's the heat here on the island. :) Did you bake these on the top, middle, or bottom rack of the oven? Thank you ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bake on every rack in the oven 😀

    I bake 3 trays at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Erica, are we baking the macarons by fan-forced?

    ReplyDelete