Sunday, June 2, 2013

Onesie shaped macarons with a marshmallow fluff filling


These were purely an experiment to see how they'd turn out (I had a search on the internet and couldn't find any). They're a little fiddly but great for a baby shower!


I just printed a "onesie" template from the internet and went from there. They're pretty hard to pipe so I ended up piping a "T" shape and using a toothpick to push the mixture to the edges - you need to make sure you get a thick enough layer of batter or you won't get "legs" around the whole onesie.



For the shells:

110g ground almonds
200g icing sugar
50g caster sugar
90g egg whites
pink or blue food colouring

Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks, gradually adding the caster sugar. 

Fold almonds and icing sugar into the eggwhites, "macaroning" until you achieve the correct consistency. 

Pipe your macarons into onesie shapes and allow to rest until a skin forms. Bake for 15-18 minutes at 130 degrees celsius.



For the filling, I had a jar of Marshmallow Fluff that I bought a while ago that I thought I'd try. Essentially its the same as melting down marshmallows into a white chocolate ganache (probably more economical) but it does save time! 

I used 80g white chocolate melted into 40g cream with 2 tablespoons of marshmallow fluff.


Sandwich the macarons with filling and allow to "mature" for 24 hours if you can!




No comments:

Post a Comment