Sunday, March 31, 2013

Fiona and Dorwin's Wedding Macarons...

I know - this is my first post since November! Life has interfered with my macaron making...but I thought I'd share with you my macaron adventure from January this year.





I travelled to Hong Kong in January for my dear Cousin Fiona's wedding to her new husband, Dorwin. Fiona is like a sister to me (and my sister, Bianca), so when Fiona asked if I could make some macarons for her wedding favours - purple, 200 of them, and heart shaped if possible, the answer was of course yes!


I was a little worried about making macarons in a new environment - HK can be very humid, I'd have to use an unfamiliar oven, and people started freaking me out about HK eggs being runny and different to Australian ones. In the end, I carted back eggs, almond meal, icing sugar, piping bags....you name it (minus the kitchen mixer) and this was the result.



The macarons are cassis flavoured, and you can find the recipe here. I used less colouring in this batch to match the theme of the wedding.






The boxes were bought by Fiona online - very pretty and delicate (albeit a little hard to put together!). I was worried about storing them in the boxes a day beforehand as they aren't properly sealed (they have holes cut into the sides and top) but as I bit into my macaron on the night of the wedding, it was perfectly crisp on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside (phew!). After that I could relax and enjoy the beautiful reception with delicious food and amazing views of Repulse Bay.

The finished product

1 comment: