Saturday, August 20, 2011

Popping Candy Macarons


This idea was originally thought up by my sister. I wasn't sure if the candy would stay "unpopped" in the ganache for long enough, but so far so good!

For the shells:
150g ground almonds
150g icing sugar
150g castor sugar
38g water
110g egg whites

Method:
Sift almonds and icing sugar into a bowl. Add 55g of egg whites and set aside.
Place 150g castor sugar with 38g water into a saucepan - heat until it reaches 118 degrees on a sugar thermometer. When this mixture reaches ~110 degrees, start whisking the remaining 55g of egg whites until soft peaks form.


Carefully pour the sugar syrup into the egg white mixture whilst beating (to make an Italian meringue)
Fold the meringue mixture into the almond mixture, put into piping bags and pipe into rounds.

Rest until a skin forms, then bake at 150 degrees for 12-13 mins.


For the filling, make a white chocolate ganache with strawberry oil and 3 packets of Pop Rock!







You can feel the candy popping in your mouth as you eat the macarons. I tried a few without the strawberry oil but I think it needs the extra flavour.


And a reminder that you can follow this blog on twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/MacaronsbyErica

5 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful blog with so many different ideas! It's encouraged me to try making macarons again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! So it DOES work! Excellent!
    I wanted to use pop candy for my 'coca cola macarons' for a fizzy zingy effect but couldn't find any at the time!! So, i used whizz fizz instead! (although the fizz did not survive for long on the ganache :(

    Good work erica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, guys! Good luck with your macaroning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is an old post, and I hope you will see this, but I have chocolate coated pop rocks and was wondering if sprinkling them on top of the macaroon before you cooked them would work. I should just try it myself :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the late reply!
    Not sure if you've tried this yet, but depending on the temperature you bake the macaroni shells at, the popping candy may melt in the oven…
    Also, popping candy isn't the prettiest looking thing :-)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete